Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Holland

Utrecht University invited me to come and lecture for the month of January, and it has been quite the experience!






I arrived in Istanbul's Attaturk airport VERY early on the 1'st of Jan, and the place left me feeling like a real foreigner...


Rene is an Indian working in Amsterdam. We had an awesome chat on the flight, and he helped me find my way once we landed. What a guy!


Alycia was kind enough to let me stay with her the first night. She is a missionary from the USA, and has travelled the world.


This guy is the area where Alycia lives' crazy guy. He sat there chatting away at himself..


And naturally, one of the channels of Amsterdam.


Note that the buildings are leaning forward. Many of them have hooks at the top that act as pullies. Furniture is hoisted up, and then taken in through the windows.


The trams rule the roads here. Public transport is BRILLIANT!

It feels like every street has some old church or historic site. By the way - Most of Amsterdam was destroyed in WW2, but they have done a great job in fixing it up again.

I have not had one of these, but these Oliebollen are a regular NewYears treat.

Flowershops everywhere...


And more flowers! Every household has some flowers somewhere.

I had a profound chat with Alycia before I headed off to Utrecht. This lady knows something about God, spend some time with her if you ever get the opportunity.

Spot the dove

Sorry about this, but it is not Amsterdam if not for funny shaped chocolates. At the fleemarket. And no one even blinked an eye.

Another super bread-shop!

Well, this is a 9 photo-stitch from my front window over De Nieuwegracht

And this is the same street, but after some snowfall the next day


Utrecht has many historic buildings, this is a church courtyard.


Me vs a Tree. The tree won the stand-off.


Spooky building...


The Dom-Church and Tower is the most significant landmark in Utrecht, and is very, very high. It boasts these cuddly little creatures all around the roof.

The Dom Church from the back. I'll post some photo's of it's front in my next post.

1 comment:

  1. Oh wow! Ek het skoon vergeet dit gaan winter wees vir jou!
    Hoop jy geniet jouself gate uit.
    En bly weg van daai tjoklits!

    ReplyDelete